Friday, October 15, 2010

State Fair

Today we went to the State Fair! Getting to take Henry was by far a joy for both of us. Growing up the Fair was one of my favorite childhood memories. We lived pretty close to it and I remember hearing the fireworks each night from my bedroom. I was so excited for Henry to experience all the joys of the Fair and I'm positive he will love it even more next year!! The Fair is always packed so my family has always parked on a nearby street that is free to park. We happened to see my Dad's car as we were walking to the Fair and lo and behold they were there too! So met up with them for supper-- a BBQ plate at the Methodist booth as we've done for the majority of my life that I can remember!

We had Al's French Fries (which you can only properly eat with vinegar squirted all over them!) and fresh mini doughnuts (wish I knew the name!) and the huge dill pickles by Oscar Mayer. Every year there is something more crazy to eat that top's the year before. Everyone's talking about it, you hear about it on TV and the radio. Basically, it's the buzz. But few people actually try it. This year it was the Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger. A Krispy Kreme donut cut in half with a cheeseburger between it. Disgusting. I know of only two people who were adventurous to taste it and I don't think either one of them liked it. Yuck. You can't mess with Krispy Kreme perfection!

We started out our trip to the Fair by seeing all the farm animals. Then we had some Fair food. Then we saw some of the other exhibits- 4-H projects, etc. We moved on to one of our favorite sites- the artwork done by professionals, amateurs, and students K-12. We had supper with my parents and then went to the Village of Yesteryear and got apple cider. And that was it!

No comments: