Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Charleston!

Our second anniversary was September 8th. My sweet and thoughtful husband surprised me on Labor day with an anniversary trip! Last Monday morning he says..."How would you like to go to Charleston with me?" I was 100% surprised and thrilled to head out the door on a getaway! The first day there we arrived at our hotel, The Renaissance and I completely fell in love with the place! Caleb made sure we had the best room at the hotel complete with a corner balcony!






Note to any future tourists in Charleston: The Renaissance has the BEST breakfast I have ever had! Believe me when I say they do it RIGHT!!


This is a picture of the John C. Calhoun house we enjoyed touring.

We enjoyed a beautiful carriage tour on the morning of our anniversary and I would have to say that this was my absolute favorite thing we did throughout the whole trip! C and I usually steer clear of anything "touristy" when visiting new places and enjoy fitting in with the locals, but I would recommend this to anyone wanting to learn more about the city.

We were half a block away from King street and its amazing shopping district. I discovered a few stores I completely fell in love with including Pierre Deux. Ahh french country...beautiful!

Rainbow Row!
For our anniversary dinner Caleb had another two surprises up his sleeve, he had made dinner reservations at this wonderful restaurant called, Fig. We both loved their food and the whole experience. Their menu changes daily, which is neat when you see your wedding date at the top of their menu! They also change out your silverware for you with each course! We split an heirloom tomato salad as an appetizer (very delicious) and I had the Heirloom Potato Agnolotti with zucchini, truffles, and corn and Caleb had the Cornmeal Dusted Triggerfish with blue crab, field pea succotash, and nicolas potatoes in a corn broth. We split their lemon cheesecake with blueberry compote. MMMMM!!


Caleb also had another surprise left in store when he pulled out a beautifully wrapped box from Charlotte's with a hot pink bow...I was totally shocked at what I found inside- this beautiful sterling silver necklace by Kenneth Jay Lane one of my favorite jewelry designers (some of you may remember my giraffe bracelet, this is the same guy)! I can't wait to wear it this Fall. He sure does spoil me, goodness!


On Wednesday, we packed up and headed over to the Hunley Museum. Caleb and his family are descendants of H.L. Hunley. He is Caleb's great great great great uncle. We have been wanting to do this museum visit for a long time and really enjoyed seeing many artifacts from the submarines. For more info on H.L. Hunley go here.

We had not gone on a vacation of this sort since our honeymoon! I feel so blessed to have had a treat like this and such a thoughtgful husband who thought through every single detail. Can't wait to celebrate all the years ahead!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that he surprised you!
I went to Charleston for Thanksgiving last year for the first time. LOVE that city. And I'm a huge Pierre Deux fan. Get on their mailing list so you may drool.